From the desire to make our home warmer and more welcoming and because we do not have the heart to give up on souvenirs and decorations of sentimental value, we are subjected to mistakes when we renovate our house, especially when it comes to the finishing touches, such as decorations. Luckily, there’s nothing that can’t be corrected and we are here to help you.
- The first and most common mistake is when you choose a special mat for the toilet bowl that is far too small compared to the foot of the sanitary object. Even if you like the model and color you don’t have to buy it just for these reasons. It’s a hassle to always have to arrange the mat because it moves around. It’s better to opt for a simple mat, rectangular or square-shaped and place it in front of the toilet.
- You have a lot of memories with your loved ones and you want to have them all in sight, unfortunately this could give rise to a much cluttered space. You don’t have to give up on your precious memories, but if you are planning a home renovation it’s also a good idea to reorganize the space. For example, you could create a memories corner, a family photo gallery. Although you will not be able to integrate all the photos, you will capture the most enjoyable moments. You can keep the rest of the pictures in a photo album and now and then change the ones you have on display in your personal gallery.
- The entrance hall is often left in the last place during the renovation, when, in fact, it should occupy a leading place when talking about decorating the home. It is the first space that can have a major impact on those who pass the threshold of your house and speaks volume about your personal style. So, don’t hesitate to choose a bold print or a lively color for the wall paint. Also, if you don’t have a lot of space, don’t forget that you can make good use of the vertical available space.
- Although you’ve heard of repetitive prints and you like the idea of finding the colored flowers for example on the windows, on the bed, in the upholstery of the chairs, be careful not to fall into the trap of using too much of the same print. If you want to recreate the atmosphere from a mountain cottage or from a beach house, turn to fewer details, but with a strong impact and obvious symbolism.
- When time flies by, there are some things that will inevitably be a proof of the period of their origin. Or, to fool your eye to detail, you can, for example, in the case of kitchen furniture (and not only) give up the old handles. Replace them with some new handles and you will obtain a visible transformation on the spot.
- Because not everyone can be an interior design specialist, you have a problem with volume perception, and especially with space placements. The secret is finding the right balance. So, if you have a massive couch without legs, think of a glass table with delicate legs to go with it.
- Another mistake when it comes to your own home is when you opt for a very formal style. There is nothing wrong with this, but such a space prevents you from feeling relaxed, sitting comfortably on an armchair, and this happens because of overly rigid furniture.
- In the house where you spend so much time, everything should be about comfort. So, give up the spectacular design if it’s not comfortable, especially if we’re talking about dining chairs. Imagine what it would be like to spend your favorite part of the day when you meet your loved ones and you have to remain in a chair that creates discomfort for you and your guests as well.
- When it comes to clutter, it not only spoils the image of your home, it also becomes a source of stress. So make a habit of gathering things and storing them in the appropriate spaces. If you don’t have enough cabinets, you might want to invest in a few. You will feel better after hiding all those objects that are now scattered around the house.
- Remember furniture catalogs and specialized showrooms? The furniture pieces are impeccable, everything matches perfectly, but it wouldn’t be a great idea to reproduce this image in your home. We have been created to have different personalities, and this helps us imagine our own dream home. You would probably soon get tired of living in a space where few items are truly the ones you like.
- If you are a victim of trends, you may have a problem, especially with the renovation budget. Either you will never stop from decorating your home, or you will be exploring with pieces that will not have a place in your house after a trend wave passes. The easiest way is to choose your style, even if it means an eclectic style, an infusion of details and shapes. As long as they make sense together, as long as they create the type of space you love, the rest doesn’t really matter.
These are just some tips to help you plan your home renovation according to a desired style, but you can also find different combinations and ideas that best suit your taste. If you plan a kitchen remodeling, a bathroom remodeling or any other type of remodeling project, the Good Remodeling team is here to help. Feel free to contact us for a free estimate.